1940s - Burke Aids in War Effort
When World War II began in December of 1941, the J.E. Burke Company turned its production efforts to assisting the U.S. government in winning the war. J.E. Burke, always an inventor, devised a self-contained munitions cart that housed a 75-MM Howitzer machine gun that could be parachuted to the army personnel. The Paracrate, as it was suitably named, was also used to deliver food, medical supplies, and other needed supplies. The company’s dedication earned special recognition, and in 1943, the J.E. Burke Company was awarded an Excellence in War Production citation.