Combining learning and the outdoors creates an environment that is flexible, open and where there is room for students to learn together, apart. Outdoors, children are healthier, happier and do better academically while getting much-needed nature exposure.
Designing your outdoor classroom may seem like a lot of new things to think about, but to us, it’s another day living the dream. With the help of our talented Design Team, your local Burke Representative is ready to help you build an outdoor classroom that will inspire exploration, activity and offer hands-on experience for years to come. Our outdoor spaces expand the meaning of classroom with options for music, fitness and educational games that help everyone learn. Browse our Outdoor Classroom Gallery.
Here are some ways outdoor learning supports students and staff:
Students are more attentive. A win for both the student and educator!
- Consistent exposure to nature promotes feelings of well-being and decreases stress and anxiety.
- Children often see and experience things through the eyes of others via various forms of media. Outdoor learning helps them experience these things for themselves.
- Active kids are healthier kids and being outside inspires activity!
- Exposure to sunlight and Vitamin D.
- Learning to cooperate, communicate and manage conflicts. Outdoors children are more willing to work in groups where they learn these skills naturally.
- Room to distance together. In our ever-changing world, kids still need to socialize and doing so outdoors provides the space they need to be apart but still together.
Contact your local Burke Representative to get started!